Cherelle Palmer – “Greetings!”

Greetings!

My name is Cherelle Palmer and I am a junior biology major. I am a commuter from White Plains, NY. I am heavily involved in various clubs and organizations on campus. My interest in biological research is directly linked to my ultimate goal of becoming a physician. My research project is titled “Acetylcholinesterase isozyme banding may be useful in revealing heart pathology”.  I am working on this project under the guidance of Dr. Charlene Hoegler. I was a part of Dr. Hoegler’s research team from fall 2010-spring 2011 during which we participated in pilot studies that will contribute to a larger study. Our current project involves cardiovascular research. Heart failure is the leading cause of death in many developed nations. It is a condition in which the heart can no longer pump the required amount of blood needed to sustain the body. It is a chronic problem that affects millions in the United States. A pilot project comparing the enzyme acetylcholinesterase (AChE) from normal and heart failure specimens was designed to explain the relationship between heart pathology and acetylcholine esterase activity. We use non-denaturing polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (PAGE) to separate the isoenzyme components. Our present study refines previous work by examining AChE activity of non-denatured protein from normal and heart failure tissues. I am learning an immense amount of analytical techniques through my research including how to evaluate scientific information, extract important ideas, and transfer it into poster format. In addition, I am learning how to evaluate the research of other scientists. Our ultimate goal is to prepare a powerpoint presentation for Dyson Fellows and a poster for presentation at the 2012 Eastern College Science Conference. Creating an independent research project can be extremely daunting. However, I feel that I have been given the tools needed to succeed. There is no greater feeling than generating actual data for your hypothesis. I am tremendously excited to continue my research and ultimately present my findings to the Pace community in spring.