Where I am in the process…

When I initially applied to this research program, I had no idea how much work goes into simply getting research APPROVED. The process of submitting work to the IRB can come with an excruciatingly long waiting period, when the researchers have no idea whether to progress on, assuming their work will be approved, or to halt all investigations until there is a 100% assurance that their work is valid and ethical. In the time that it took for the IRB to approve our surveys, I started to feel anxious, a little annoyed that it would take so long, and honestly…I became a little lax in my research. Professor Molina and I had completed our surveys months ago, and only just distributed them to our demographic for feedback. We yielded sixty-one responses. I am very proud of those responses, and can now begin a more in-depth and involved research process. Up until now, I had felt a little lazy in my research, as I did not have much to work with besides what research has already been done on the topic. Not surprisingly, much work has been done on the sibling relationship of people with autism. Especially over the last decade or so when autism diagnosis has been on the rise – it means that even more siblings are effected. What makes our research unique is that we are working with college-age participants, unlike children or babies with whom most autism-sibling research is done. People with autism in college obviously have what it takes to be an integral member of the social community and who are on the precipice of starting their own lives. Their perspective on their sibling support is much deeper and stronger than that of children, whose relationships with their siblings is just beginning to develop.

After Professor Molina submit our survey to the IRB, he requested that I partake in and complete a three hour online course that teaches about the ways to protect human research participants. I completed the course, and am now fully certified and educated in the proper treatment of humans used in a research process. It is not just a matter of asking questions, observing and getting answers. The questions you ask must be ethical. You must inform the participants on ever facet of the research, and they must know that they can withdraw their participation at any time. There are many rules that go into being qualified to utilize humans in your research, and I had no idea of these things prior to this course.

We will now proceed to extrapolate from our responses data to put into charts. We will compare and contrast the responses, and see how we can generalize the information. Now that we have concrete data, we can really dig into finding out more about how effective and beneficial it is for people with autism to have siblings to support them. I know I will personally make up for the time that was lost in our research due to waiting for approval.