Kant’s Religion within the Boundaries of Mere Reason: A Reader’s Guide (Blog Post #1)

Our research project, titled Kant’s Religion within the Boundaries of Mere Reason: A Reader’s Guide, does exactly what the title suggests: provides readers with a guide to understanding Immanuel Kant’s Religion within the Boundaries of Mere Reason. The goal is to present advanced undergraduate as well as beginner graduate students a comprehensive explanation of the text, in addition to commentary. While my professor is writing the reading guide, my job is to examine his work in order to provide him with helpful feedback. As a member of his target audience, I can help him accurately determine which areas of the text a student is most likely to find particularly challenging. Furthermore, I am aiding in the compilation of a bibliography, mostly by locating and reviewing scholarly articles to be included.

Through this research project, I hope to gain an in-depth understanding of Kant’s religious philosophy.  This will hopefully allow us to work on additional articles throughout the second semester. Moreover, on a personal level, I am hoping to further refine my reading skills. Kant’s writing is notoriously troublesome; by first reading Kant’s text independently, I am afforded the opportunity to cultivate my abilities to comprehend challenging literature. I often find myself realizing why such a reading guide is necessary throughout the process of reading such a frustrating text. Overall, I hope to aid in the development of published secondary literature for the purpose of helping fellow students.