Feed on
Posts
Comments

Professor Cronin and I have compiled and began reading through documents including oral interviews, books, and news articles, all of which talk about the Hudson River in the 19th and 20th centuries. We will continue to see if sources, such as the New York Public Library, have more historical data or pieces that we can add and gain insight from. By collecting and reading these documents, I am beginning to fully understand the factors that lead up to the ban on commerial fishery in the Hudson and also the repercussions of it. The interviews have been very helpful in providing context. They also offer a firsthand account that paints a picture of the time. It’s as if I am reading a story that is still unfolding today just a few miles from my doorstep.

While reading through these documents, I’ve learned just how overlooked this story is, and how it needs to be told. Each document I read is a vestige to modern day environmentalism, public policy and the history of this country. I think that if everyone was able to see what this river and the people who survived off of it has seen, it would provide for a greater, more in depth context of how New York state came to be what it is now.