Feed on
Posts
Comments

Blog 2

A Comprehensive Study of Disability Film Media at a Major Metropolitan University

Blog #2

Blog #2

I started off my research this semester reading literature about disability media. I read about the positive and negative portrays of individuals with disabilities. I also read about the different movements across the country focused on disabilities.  All these books and articles gave me a better understanding of what to look for in the focus groups and what types of films to show all three focus groups.

When I first started my project with Dr. Lawler I did not know what exactly to expect. I thought I would just show a bunch of films to a bunch of people and record their reactions, but it was so much more than that.

My first focus group was quite an experience. I got to meet many different types of people who all had some sort of disability. The films I thought spoke more loudly to their cause seemed to not get approval from the majority. It was interesting to see a film through the eyes of someone who actually had a disability. Most of the films I showed where not produced by people with disabilities. The directors were people who were just interested in the topic, but for my focus group they were not just interested…they were living it.

After my first focus group many of my questions were answered, yet ambiguity still seemed to linger. I still had so much to ask, so much to learn, and so much to discover.