Blog 1: Intro

Understanding the Role of  the Arts, Technology, and Disability 

In working with adults with developmental disabilities I have learned that their silence is not because they have nothing to say, but rather the lack of means to communicate with others. Through art and technology, those with disabilities have found ways of communication that provide them with the ability to connect to others like never before. Dr. Lawler’s Web Design for non-profits class has established a partnership with AHRC in which students use technology to facilitate communication and advocacy amongst the people. The three artists participating in this showcase are currently in Dr. Lawler CIS102w class that partners with AHRC.

Our plan for this research is to engage the three artists from AHRC to learn about their art and also their backgrounds, to better understand them as individuals. With this understanding, we hope to promote awareness and advocacy amongst a community often disregarded. In December, we will be hosting an exhibit showcasing the work of the three artists, allowing them the opportunity to communicate with other using art and technology, as an extension of themselves.

Goals:

• Produce a product that the artist can be proud of.
  • Empower the artists to present their products with mobile / multimedia / social media technology.
  • Educate the community on the importance of the arts/ media and disability
  • Achieve funding for research programs at Pace.

Having worked with Dr. Lawler before in CIS102w I have seen first hand how important technology and the arts can be to individuals with disabilities. This medium has been tremendous in bridging the gap between those with disabilities and those without. Through further research I hope to be able to contribute more to the advancement of those with disabilities. Working with the artist from AHRC provides me with invaluable primary sources. Through our library session with Ben Peck, I have been able to target my research, and have been finding really interesting works to supplement my understanding of the role of technology and those with disabilities.