Bonnie and Clyde (1967)

This project shared between Dr. Rebecca Martin and I will be about Arthur Penn’s 1967 film Bonnie and Clyde. After speaking with Dr. Martin, asking her what her personal interest was, she had told me that the film had elicited a widespread controversy/phenomena/following. From fashion to violence, the film explored a string of concepts that generated a large public and scholarly response. The purpose of our research is to further explore these responses and fit them into a context. More specifically, I will argue that the film and other similar, consequent films (BadlandsThelma and Louise, and Natural Born Killers) showcased progressive, cinematic, feminist themes and how they are cultural indicators of historical shifts (subtle or large) at the time of their release. As of right now, a large stack of scholarly articles sits on my table. I have combed through them to find significant relevant support for my hypothesis. Dr. Martin has also given me the task of looking through databases for existent and non-existent film publications to search where Bonnie and Clyde has been referred to in order to investigate author biases and their perspective of how the film fits into what they believe is its context. Furthermore, this project is part of a larger one to compile a book of essays on the film.

Felipe Villalon