UGR Post One: “College Students’ Use of Technology and Academic Performance: A US – China Comparison”

My paper, “College Students’ Use of Technology and Academic Performance: A U.S. – China Comparison” is a comparative study of the effect of the use of technology on academic performance of college students studying in China and the United States.   As technology use continues to be on a rise among college students, educators and scholars have been raising a question of the relationship between the use of technology and academic performance. This study will be unique as it will compare and contrast the relationship between the use of technology and academic performance between three categories of students: Chinese students studying in China, Chinese students studying in the United States, and United State’s students studying in the United States.We designed a survey instrument of 22 questions and polled 98 Chinese students at the University of Shanghai for Science and Technology.  We will further survey Pace University students, and target students born and educated in the United States as well as students born and educated in China, but choosing the United States as their place of undergraduate education.  The survey asks questions about gender, year, major, types of uses of technologies, types of technologies used in classrooms, and general access to technologies. I first had to enter all the raw data in Excel and learn how to use filters. We have summarized the data and are working on presenting the descriptive statistics in tables and graphs.  After we define our dependent and independent variables and come up with meaningful relationships between them, we would like to enter the data into STATA and run multiple regressions to see if those relationships are strong enough to support our initial hypothesis that a relationship between academic experience and use of technology exists.  Then we will analyze the results that we will get via Excel summaries and STATA results.  

Our goal is to prepare the paper for the presentation at the Eastern Economic Association Conference which will take place in NYC on February 23-26th, 2017.  We also hope to prepare the paper for a publication in the Eastern Economic Journal or perhaps in Atlantic Economic Journal.  I feel that this research is an act of me taking ownership over my education.   I feel that this will is the most intensive and comprehensive project I have ever worked on.  I think it will help me gain confidence to conduct further research. I also hope that the results of this study are meaningful and that the results will give educators, students and parents some idea as to how students can use technology to be more successful in the classroom and beyond.   The results of this study will have important implications as we hope to draw recommendation for college students and educators.