Discrimination of fluoroquinolone antibiotics using vibrational spectroscopy – Blog 2

During my Fall semester under the UGRI, I have been able to make some progress with my project. First off, I was able to obtain new samples of the four types of fluoroquinolones. The trials I have been running has been with the portable Raman, which is located in the science department. I had to begin by testing the portable Raman on other samples. I tested Aspirin and analyzed the spectra produced. I was able to see that the portable Raman still produces spectras of samples that we know are accurate.

From this, I was able to move on to my own fluoroquinolone samples. The first one I tested was enrofloxacin. I was confused about the spectras produced originally because the peaks did not reach the level of energy I needed. This made me wonder what was wrong with the Raman machinery. Because of this, I had to take some time playing with the variables of the program. One thing I switched was how long it took for the program to analyze the drug. I changed the settings from 1 minute to 30 minutes. However, this still produced a weak spectra compared to my past results. Also, I had one spectra that showed so much noise, that it was impossible to analyze.

My problems with the portable Raman so far made me realize that not every experiment will go smoothly. However, this brings up a bunch of questions that could help me fix these incidents. First off, I am wondering if it’s the drug itself that is reading abnormally or if it’s the portable Raman? For my next set up, I can try taking a sample of the drug and place it in a separate container for analysis. I am also wondering why changing the time slot for analysis did not help the spectras being produced? What will help my spectras gain power? Hopefully, I will be able to fix these problems in the future, in order to get an accurate reading of my fluoroquinolone samples.