Blog #3

Ever since December, I have been able to make progress with my research. Every single week, I was able to come in and run my four fluoroquinolone drugs. I have been testing them constantly with the same power at 50 and multiplier factor at 50. I’ve tested the samples at 3 different times: 1,3, and 5. Using the scans, I was able to produce spectras for each drug using Igor software. Igor allows me to open up excel files and label the graphs with its peaks accordingly. Since I was able to do run my samples every single week, I took the average of my runs at the different times. This helps to improve the signal to noise ratio and produce accurate results. Seeing all the progress I have made so far makes me feel a lot better about my research because I was struggling a bit in the beginning. I was able to however overcome my issues with the laser Raman and produce results.

From my research so far, I was able to print out a poster of my work and present at the annual Dyson Society of Fellows this past March. It felt good to see my hard work on display for others to understand. I was able to tell those who came up to my poster all of the accomplishments I have achieved thus far. I also was able to answer questions and take in advice that I could use for future work with my fluoroquinolone drugs.

Looking back at the results produced so far, I have been able to obtain accurate spectras for the four fluoroquinolone drugs. Sarafloxacin, norfloxacin, and ciprofloxacin produced peaks using the laser Raman that were similar to its Raman spectras from before. However, enrofloxacin’s spectra produced no peaks that can be used to identify the drug. I find this interesting because the laser Raman was able to produce spectras for the other three types, just not this one. For the rest of my time doing this research, I want to continue running my samples to see if taking the average for all of my trials help my results. I also want to investigate why in particular enrofloxacin only produces peaks with the original Raman, not the laser Raman used.