Effects of Silicon & Organometallic Antifoulants on Environmental Biofilms
- Collection of several environmental biofilm samples around or within Pace University’s Choate Pond
- Successful inoculation of environmental samples in fresh LB Broth w/ blank slides and LB Agar using sterile techniques.
- Tracked biofilm growth under controlled temperature & pressure of incubator to identify the source of the strongest biological sample. (Rock from underside of waterfall near Mortola Library) [ID: Lib R]
- Inoculated and grew additional samples of Lib R for antifoulant slide testing
- Etched and prepared glass slides for inoculation.
- Synthesized organometallic laced silicon polymers on glass slides using a nucleation-network synthesis workup (Will B.)
- Identified ideal method of biofilm growth detection. (Crystal Violet Detection of Polysaccharides)
- Design scheme for grading/scaling biofilm growth.
- Inoculate Lib R samples in LB Broth w/ antifoulant slides.
- Assess the effect of the antifoulant on biofilm growth.