A Probabilistic Model for the Occupancy-Abundance Relationship of Species Populations using Taylor’s Law

“A Probabilistic Model for the Occupancy-Abundance Relationship of Species Populations using Taylor’s Law” is the title of the project that I and Dr. Xu are conducting in this summer. The goals of our project are to 1: clarify the roles of Taylor’s law and negative binomial distribution in He-Gaston model; 2: derive an occupancy-abundance probability model intrinsically from Taylor’s law; and 3: compare our model with the traditional occupancy-abundance model based on negative binomial distribution.

During the project, I participate in data analysis, research design and manuscript writing of the proposed research. I am expected to improve my analysis skills, enrich my knowledge in statistics, ecology and software R,  and learn more practical problem-solving methods in the research.

To answer our research questions, we investigate different models for Occupancy-Abundance relationship using statistical theory and species count data. All analysis are conducted in software R. Currently, we have retested some species count data to access the established models and we have been trying to figure out the insight behind the numbers we gather from the data.