Phenolics in Bee Propolis

Phenolics in Bee Propolis

Research by Josephine Farshi and Professor Elmer Mojica

The primary focus of my Summer 2017 research is the analysis of phenolics in bee propolis. I aim to investigate the properties of this propolis in relation to their use by both bees and humans alike. I will achieve this by studying the antioxidant makeup and nutritional properties of propolis by means of analyzing results gathered from gas-spectrometry mass spectrometry (GC/MS). In this blog post I will describe the purpose of my research, along with how I became interested in the topic.

First, I would like to clarify that bee propolis is a product of bees, but not the commonly presumed product known as honey. The product I am focusing on comes from beehives, just like honey does (Alibino 2014). However, bees make propolis by mixing beeswax with vegetable resin, a brown substance gathered from sap (Castro et al. 2014). Propolis is commonly referred to as bee glue. During the process of GC/MS, the propolis is separated into the chemicals that it consists of during the gas chromatography and further analyzed based on these chemicals during the mass spectrometry overview (Kartal et al. 2002).

Studying the chemical properties, such as flavonoids, will provide insight on how certain chemicals can provide nutritional benefits. The nutritional and food-science aspects behind the bee propolis are what first grabbed my attention about this very topic. For instance, bee propolis is known to contain 300 active compounds, some of which have been used to fight sore throat and stomach ulcers due to the pharmaceutical activities (Rios et al. 2014). I knew that I wanted to work with something related to food-science because I am interested in all aspects of nutrition, including health benefits that certain natural products provide and the effects of socioeconomic status on global nutrient intake. From my research, I aim to see how the chemical composition of bee propolis can be used for benefitting human health.

So far this summer, I have focused on an immense amount of literary exploration. There are several reasons behind why literature is significant in my scientific research. For starters, literature provides me with an understanding of how researchers have previously analyzed the same topic of phenolics in bee propolis. Having a broad understanding of the topic at hand can therefore create a rapport between the audience and myself, as they will be able to trust the authenticity of my studies. By using the Web of Science, I have gathered over 200 abstracts from scientists, published between 2014 and 2017. I now have a broad understanding of the importance of analyzing propolis for both bees and humans alike, along with an established methodology for gathering results.