Blog #2

Since the last blog, our research project has developed and we have made many strides and have crossed many tasks off of our research checklist. Some of those tasks include reviewing in depth the current research on our topic and beginning a literature review, registering with IRB, creating an informed consent document for the human research subjects, and creating a flyer to attract nursing majors to participate in our study, and compiling a list of questions for our student interviews.

Some of our successes include frequent and open communication between Dr. Northrup and I and swiftly completing tasks to get our research to where we want it to be. Some difficulties include needing to wait for the school year to conduct our nursing student interviews and not having many current articles or research about our specific topic to use as a guide.

I have learned that the research process is always changing. I have learned to let the process guide the project instead of letting my original idea of the project control the process. The ending product may be very different from the original idea, but that is the beauty of research.

This research project has made a lasting impression on me. As someone who has always found research very intimidating, I have learned that by taking it step by step, it can be an enjoyable journey. For this upcoming year, Dr. Northrup and I will be conducting interviews on junior nursing students, compiling the data, and obtaining conclusions based on the interviews.