Analysis of Water around NYC

Being awarded the UGR grant late, I was only able to recently start my project. this study focuses on the analysis of samples of water collected from three different bodies of water around NYC. These sites include Coney Island Creek, the Gowanus Canal, and Newtown Creek. These three sites were specifically chosen because they have been known to be highly polluted sites and therefore I thought it would be interesting to see the types of micro-pollutants and the metal content found at these sites in order to compare them to the results I obtained from the areas in lower Manhattan.

The project is currently underway. I went out to the sites and collected 2 liters of water from each site back on November 12th. Since then the samples have been brought back to the lab and I have filtered the samples. This has been done in order to collect the sediments and other such materials present in the water so that they can be analyzed separately.  This process does however leave the micro-pollutants and metal in the water content which allows them to be analyzed using GC-MS(gas chromatography-mass spectrometry) for the micro-pollutants and AAS(atomic absorption spectroscopy ) for the metal content.