Blog #3

I have had many successes in my research project over the last couple of months. Since my last blog post, I have finished my research. The winter break helped greatly in finishing my project. I was able to dedicate full days to my research resulting in my research coming to completion in a timely fashion. My research results supported my original hypothesis. Results showed a direct relationship between the phenol content and the antioxidant activities of the different samples analyzed. Once graphs and tables were created it was much easier to analyze and confirm my results. It was found that the absorbance and emission profiles were the same for all flavors except for the rooibos blend samples (cranberry blood orange and pomegranate cherry rooibos). This may be because rooibos is an herb that is added to the tea and not a regular tea such as green tea. This herb may have different absorbance and emission profiles than regular tea. In terms of emission intensity, green teas were the strongest, followed by black teas, and then rooibos teas. The chai black tea had the highest emission among all black teas while acai berry – blueberry, tropical and jasmine had the highest emission among the green teas. The phenol content of the tea samples had ranging results. The rooibos blend samples had the lowest phenol content. The other samples had similar phenol content to each other which could indicate that different kinds of tea (green, black, etc.) do not differ drastically from one another in regards to phenol content. The antioxidant activity showed that all the flavors had almost the same antioxidant activity. This was surprising for the rooibos blend samples because they had the lowest phenol content but their antioxidant activity was comparable with the rest of the tea samples.

Being that the antioxidant activity for all flavors were very close to one another, this indicated that all kinds of tea (green, black, etc.) are ‘good’ for you and all have health benefits. The assays used in this research study found that all the tea samples tested whether they were green tea, black tea, or rooibos blends had similar antioxidant activities which indicate that all samples have strong health benefits. When observing phenol content, the rooibos blends had the lowest phenol content which was surprising because their antioxidant activity was equivalent to the rest of the teas. The rooibos teas also showed the lowest absorbance and emission profile. This could have been due to the fact that rooibos is an herb and may have different effects when tested with these assays.

I am happy with the results of my research because everyone can benefit from them. Tea drinkers and non-tea drinkers alike will be able to use my findings and make a decision about the types of drinks they put in their bodies. Along with the completion of this project, I will be presenting my research at the American Chemical Society Annual Conference to my fellow science professional colleagues this coming week.