Contemporary music

Throughout the summer as a student, I have noticed through my personal experience and fellow students experience that our time is mostly to work and save up money. The pressures of working and sacrificing the summer time to be able to have money while school starts. Being one of those students, I feel stressed and anxious the closer school comes around if I have enough money that will last me through the semester and the rest of the summer. Dealing with all these pressures of independence and the awareness of school starting again, looking towards music is what will be great factor to help motivate me to succeed. Classical music being the foundation for all music, modern music can be analyzed and dissect it to find its musical properties to promote success and motivation just as it has since the start of music. 

Modern music or contemporary music has expanded itself it to hundreds of genres of music that influence people on a daily basis. For my research I studied two songs of two different genres to study its effects lyrically, melodically, and how they work together even though they’re different genres. The first song is “My shot” by Lin Manuel Miranda from the hit Broadway musical Hamilton. Musical theater is still written more traditionally on manuscript and more intentions in their musical transitions based on the plot of the story. “My shot” is a special musical theater song being that it is a rap song that follows a 90’s rap era melodic and lyrical flow. Miranda speaks about Alexander Hamilton’s hopes in his future and not giving up. “No I am not giving away my shot. Hey yo I’m just like my country. I’m young, scrappy and hungry, and I am not throwing away my shot” (Miranda, Hamilton). He connects Hamilton’s ambitions and motivation to the same America’s, as well as connecting their struggles and faults of being weak and new to this whole idea of growth but will never give up. 

The next song that follows the same sort of motivation is Beyoncé’s “Formation”. This Pop/R&B broke records on billboard charts and also got its main message across to the millions of people who bought and listened. Beyonce spoke about African American beauty and acceptance as well as being a woman in America and how as a women we have to unite and raise one another up. Even as modern music, classical music at their time and still today promote the same motivation and message through their work. For example the Italian romantic era composer Giuseppe Verdi. Verdi was an Italian nationalist who write music to signify Italian unification and Italian pride. Music of any genre and can get a message through it’s lyrics and message through the music.