Blog Post #2, “Exploring the Academic/Creative Writing Binary” Mid-Year Blog

So far, I have completed my IRB application for approval to conduct research on people as a component of my undergraduate research study. Professor Brewer and I are working on creating a consent form for participants to fill out prior to their involvement in the study. Our sample will be derived from Pace University faculty and students. The Director of Composition, Professor Kristen di Gennaro, has already agreed to allow us to use one of the Composition Faculty Meetings next spring for this study. Additionally, Professor Brewer has arranged for me to attend a session of her composition course next semester. Collaborating with her has provided me with numerous opportunities to carry out my research and complete related tasks.

With the help of Professor Brewer, I have also started to gather articles and read existing research on my topic. In doing so, I have discovered that my perceptions about academic and creative writing might be reversed. Though I started off thinking that creative writing wasn’t receiving enough recognition, much of my research implies that academic writing is actually less valued than creative writing. Going forward, I will be paying more attention to how perceptions of writing change when they are observed outside of the academic sphere. For instance, my research has shown me that academic writing may be more valued in English departments, but creative work is more likely to be appreciated at home or hung on a family fridge.  I was skeptical of these ideas at first, but the reading I have done thus far has opened my mind to the possibility that writing classifications are more complex than they originally seem.