Blog Post 2: Delving into Basic Needs Insecurity

So far, for my student faculty research project, I have compiled some scholarly articles and analyzed them for my eventual literature review. I have also begun to write abstracts for each article to begin the process of writing what will be in the review. Throughout this process I have had to employ some problem solving skills when it came to deciding which articles to include in our project. I had to find articles that were in line with our project’s goals, textually rich, and articles that contained evidence relevant to our objectives.

Without a strong initiative and dedication to the project, and food insecurity in general, I don’t believe I would have been able to make the connections that I’ve arrived at for the betterment of the project. Additionally, the support and guidance that my faculty mentor, Erin Furey has given me, has enhanced my research experience, and the overall content of the research project. With teamwork in mind, we’ve been able to communicate effectively what our needs are, throughout the past few months. I have been able to let her know if I’m struggling with an element of the research, and I’ve been able to share with her what I have been working on.

Our collaboration has created an environment where I am able to work efficiently, and ask for help when I need it. I am very grateful for Erin’s commitment to the research work, and the topic at hand. Overall, the data I have obtained thus far, has supported my initial notion that there is a need for actionable items surrounding food insecurity at Pace University, and Universities at large. I have also found a disappointing, but unsurprising correlation between student’s minority status, and basic needs insecurity. In fact, in a Wisconsin Hope Lab piece, it was found that nonbinary students had an extremely high rate of food insecurity compared with self-described binary female, and binary male students. (Wisconsin Hope Lab)

It is not uncommon to find research pertaining to the specific vulnerable status of LGBTQIA+ individuals relating to basic needs insecurity. Some of the reasons this group experiences disproportionate levels of food insecurity are structural oppression, separation or disownment from birth family, and work place harassment. As a low-income, nonbinary college student, these findings are especially troubling. I hope that through our continual research and future activism, we will be able to reduce the risk of basic needs insecurity for queer students.