Blog Post #2: Progress with Research on PTEN Impact on Synapse Morphology

In terms of progress, I have been able to learn different and valuable techniques in the lab. These techniques include micromanipulation of larval fish by utilizing specific instruments such as a dissecting microscope, preparation of fish for in vivo imaging as well as screening for larval phenotypes (fluorescent reporting on the epi-fluorescent microscope). I have even been taught how to use a confocal microscope and an epi-fluorescent microscope. Dr. Marik and I have imaged preliminary data and have concluded on a time interval that we will be using for in our time-lapse experiments. It took some time to figure out that the optimal time points to collect data, but we have found that 2.5 days post fertilization at 15-minute intervals for microglia imaging was showing the best results. The next step is to analyze the wild-type and mutant fish and learn how to collect data based on the analyses we make in the lab.

For this research, I need to manage enough time to allow myself enough to image because it does take time for imaging and preparing fish. The Resident Assistant positions has taken time away from research time but when this happens I have to schedule a type of “research make-up” later in the week. In addition, there is a lot of information that must be taken in by both the actual experiments and from Dr. Marik teaching me laboratory techniques and I have to make sure that I don’t only keep up but grow from all of this information. To be sure that I am up to date with all the information I should know and to be sure that the time I am scheduled to be in the lab, Dr. Marik at least knows that I will be attending, Dr. Marik and I communicate through email and from text message from time to time when it is an emergency.  Dr. Marik usually lets me know what I will be doing in the lab if I am not only continuing what I did the previous week.

Dr. Marik is also extremely understanding and works with me to create a schedule that considers the Resident Assistant position as well as other responsibilities I have on campus. I also know that Dr. Marik has many other responsibilities, therefore, I try to be as accommodating as possible when it comes to scheduling times we will both be in the lab simultaneously and when I must be conducting research when she is teaching or handling other responsibilities. I look forward to learning more about the effects of PTEN on the brain as well as other techniques that will prove to be helpful in any other laboratory setting.