2011-2018 End of Year Report

Investigating the Role of the Caenorhabditis elegans Gene M05D6.2, an Ortholog of Human T- Complex Protein (TCP11), in Sperm Function and Fertility

During the 2016-17 academic year, I have been conducting research with Dr. Matthew Marcello. Our research lab looks into different genes that could potentially affect fertility. Over the course of this undergraduate-faculty research program, I have continued my investigation on the gene M05D6.2 in C.elegans, whose ortholog in humans is known as Tcp11 (human t-complex protein 11). The Tcp11 gene is necessary for proper sperm morphology as well as fertility. This gene has been associated with the coiling of a sperms flagella and has been found to localize in both a sperm’s head and flagellum. The goal of our research is to establish the role that the C.elegans ortholog of Tcp11, M05D6.2, plays in regards to fertility and ultimately, determine the molecular role of the TCP11 gene domain, which is still unknown. Previously, we were able to conclude that the M05D6.2 gene is necessary for male reproduction in C. elegans. After conducting research for the past few months, we have not been able to add much new data.

I mentioned in my most recent blog post that obtaining males can be a very time consuming process. Since males naturally occur so rarely we are force them by inducing reproductive stress onto L4 worms with knocked out genes of interest. The way we induce this stress is to subject the worms to increased temperatures which is supposed to give an increased yield of male progeny in ~2 days.

Previous to me, undergraduate researchers that started the project were able to determine that M05D6.2 is essential for sperm activation and fertilization because hermaphrodites with the gene knocked down produced less progeny. After they visualized this, the worms underwent DAPI staining which is a fluorescent dye that stains DNA. This staining revealed that the worms were still able to produce the same amount of sperm although they were unable to reproduce at the same rate. Next various mutants of M05D6.2 were created with the entire gene knocked down, one to resemble the same single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) that is seen in infertile male humans, and one with a GFP tag on the proteins N-terminus. The fertility of the worms was then analyzed and visualized under a microscope where nothing was seen due to weak fluorescence staining. We were able to travel to William Patterson University in Wayne New Jersey to present this work at a poster session. This was my first time presenting in a professional setting which I enjoyed very much. Usually I get very nervous when presenting but this time was much different from what I expected. The setting was professional yet also very casual and it was really exciting to be able to talk with other scientists who were very obviously interested in our work.

For future directions, hopefully next semester I will take over this project and I will repeat the analysis of the mutant hermaphrodite’s fertility since the data cannot be considered conclusive yet since it was only conducted once. Secondly, I will re-do the GFP staining to hopefully get a good visualization of where the protein localized within the worm. Then hopefully I will conduct the same experiments with male mutants to really get a good idea of how this can possibly be related to male infertility in humans and possible bring many couples happiness. It would be beneficial if I could continue  this work over the summer but since I live out of state I will be forced to resume next semester and hopefully have better luck obtaining males.