Blog Post 1: The Perceived Impact of Supplemental Treatments on Cancer Patients

Individuals in today’s society know of at least one person who is currently battling Cancer or someone who has lost their life to the horrific disease. Mia and I took a course called “Mindfulness and Cultural Intelligence” and throughout the semester, we discovered that we both had a mutual interest in the topic of Cancer. When we first started talking about Cancer, we both brought up different types of supplemental treatments that our loved ones used to help them fight their battle. After class one day, we had a conversation with Dr. Maxam and realized that we have all been touched by Cancer in some way, and we were so heartwarmed to see that this was a passion that we all shared. From this first conversation, we sparked many others, and we decided to conduct a study that focuses on ways complementary treatments could affect the lives of Cancer patients while they go through traditional treatments like chemotherapy and radiation. Through these ideas, we chose the title “The Perceived Impact of Supplemental Treatments on Cancer Patients.”

In our study we will be examining six major impacts that Cancer has had on the lives of many individuals across the globe.  These six impacts will be our subtopics and they consist of support systems, spirituality, diet, mindfulness/yoga, exercise, and milestones/positive thinking. We will be interviewing various Cancer survivors to learn about how they fought their battles. We will also be interviewing professionals, such as yoga instructors, who help Cancer patients power through the side effects of traditional treatments like medications. In addition to the interviews, we are also going to do an extensive amount of research using various scholarly sources in credible databases for each subtopic. Through academic projects we have done in the past, we discovered that social media is a great tool to bring instant awareness to a larger audience of people. Therefore, we will be posting various blogs and newsletters containing the research we have gathered for each subtopic onto a Facebook page that we will be creating. 

I’m currently studying Public Accounting at Pace University. Although Cancer has nothing to do with my major, it has had a major impact on my life. I lost my grandfather to Esophagus Cancer when I was an infant, and now my grandmother is currently battling Thyroid Cancer. Through this study I am eager to learn more about the disease and discover different ways that Cancer patients could recover this monstrous disease through various holistic approaches.