Blog Post 1- Looking for a Sustainable Newsroom model: The Case of U.S. Media

The title of my project with Professor Pantic is, “Looking for a Sustainable Newsroom model: The Case of U.S. media.” The purpose of the project is to explore and analyze how local news organizations maintain economic viability in today’s media environment, which is extremely competitive. With that being said, the main purpose of the study is to examine business models employed by newspapers and online news organizations, as well as provide guidance to these organizations on how to remain engaging and make up for revenues they may have lost in today’s media market.

From this research study, I expect to compare data and most importantly, learn about the sources of revenue that the news organizations in question rely on, as well as current advertising trends, economic challenges media face, and strategies they employ, etc. Furthermore, I hope I complete this study with a better understanding on how the current media environment operates.

To answer our research questions, Professor Pantic has conducted a series of interviews with media representatives of news organizations across the country. From that information, I have helped transcribe the interviews and I will begin to collect a great amount of data and evaluate the common themes.