Blog 1 Environmental Discourse and Diversity in Urban Setting

It is more likely for a person from rural areas to engage in environmental sustainability. When they move from a place surrounded by forests to an “urban jungle” in which concrete buildings become normality, it makes sense that they try to restore the loss of “nature.” However, it does not necessarily assume that people living in urban settings detach from environmental practices at all. Even in a highly metropolitan area such as New York City, various individuals articulate, negotiate and execute environmental work with diverse approaches. Thus, our team will continue working on the project titled “Environmental Discourse and Diversity in Urban Settings,” obtaining and analyzing data from various individuals and organizations on their environmental practices in the urban environments. 

In September, we had our first group meeting this semester, where all of us reflected the results and personal experiences from the summer research program. While we understand that environment-related organizations might have particular official agendas to the public, the individuals could have different opinions and environmentality compared to the organization they worked in. However, we found it difficult sometimes to approach the potential participants while contacting the organization. Our team had to change research methods to adapt to the situations. In the meantime, we also reflected on the positive sides of the research process. Some stated that they were worried before meeting the participants, that they might not have enough questions to ask about, but they soon practiced interview techniques during the process and the conversations went well in the end. Finally, in attempting to explore the diversity and complexity of practicing environmentality in New York City, we will seek for more potential research subjects and look into expanding our current data collection. 

My focus on the research would be on business perspectives, which include environmentally friendly products and relevant business activities. For example, I have been searching on Airbnb websites, whereas locals provide unique experiences for visitors to have a taste of authentic New York life. I have located in locals who offer environmental-related experiences such as thrift shops shopping and house plant conversations. Such events would be ideal places for conducting participant observation; I will record my reflections and observations while participating in the experiences. Furthermore, it will allow me to stay in contact with the individuals and seek further interview opportunities. Moreover, participating in the experiences can open another gate to look for other research subjects. So far, I have exchanged emails with the local guides and made appointments for future interviews; I also encountered several places like environmental social enterprise or shops that I could save for further investigation.  

The “Environmental Discourse and Diversity in Urban Setting” is teamwork, which has been a unique experience for me to work with other students on research. Each team member has brought their own perspective and technique into the project, which could benefit me from listening to different research experiences. Meanwhile, working in a team means that we could contribute to and share a vast amount of research data, that individual work could not be able to obtain. Accordingly, every team member will be able to use the data and further their individual projects.  I am looking forward to working with my teammates and gaining more research experiences in the future.