Blog 4 updates

This year has certainly flown by in an instant! As a graduating senior, I look forward to May 15 and ‘the rest of my life’ and whatever it may bring. With this being said, the end of the year also means the final blog post of this academic year’s undergraduate research program. As you know from my previous blog posts, Dr. Zaslow and I have had quite an experience with our choice of topic. Thankfully, our most recent attempts to nail down a working thesis and to begin our research has proved to be successful, and we are well on our way to a comfortable position in our research in order to present at the end of this month.

As a general update to our last blog post, Dr. Zaslow and I have been able to  and distribute the frames that we are bringing to light throughout our project and are currently analyzing our selection of five moments that we have chosen to focus on during this research. Though our presentation will allow us to fully elaborate on the moments we have chosen to analyze, I am happy to say that we have a great selection of stories dealing with gender ambiguity and gender non-conformity and the coverage we have been able to work with has been nothing short of eyeopening and a bit controversial.

From here on out, we are hoping to continue working on the project through the summer while also gearing up for the possibility of publishing our work. I’m excited for the future of this project and am thankful for the UGR program for matching Dr. Zaslow and I up — a great work pairing indeed!

This project, as well as its frequent ups and downs, has been a great experience to be a part of during my senior year. As mentioned before, I am graduating in just a handful of weeks, but this program has really pushed the urge for me to continue my education on the graduate school much further than I originally thought. I find myself interested in pursuing research within the realm of the LGBTQ community as well as focusing on the adolescents within this large community in the future, and I believe that this experience has really had an effect on my wanting to do this.

An update on progress, Blog #3

Well, it has been quite a whirlwind for Dr. Zaslow and I as we have gone about this research process. As mentioned in my last blog post, we had reached out to several communities that were relevant to our project, but unfortunately not everything goes as planned: we did not receive proper clearance from any community we reached out to, making our original project impossible to complete within our time frame.

Though a disappointing prospect to face, we went back to the drawing board to refocus our research and reviewed the possibilities that were available to us. Thankfully, Dr. Zaslow and I have nailed out an entirely new project and we are excited to announce that our process is currently underway.

We decided to shift our focus to the discourse made available through major U.S. news publications in regards to stories centering on instances of atypical gender norms; prevalent examples would be of children playing with toys that are typically reserved for those of the opposite sex of theirs or parents deciding to now publicly acknowledge the gender of their newborn child in an attempt to produce an environment clear of all gender norms. By analyzing how major news networks inform their audiences of these news pieces, Dr. Zaslow and I will be producing a framing analysis to acknowledge how far the publicly perpetuated discourse can vary, especially depending on which news network one person regularly tunes in to.

We have already selected our instances, or colloquially deemed ‘moments,’ that we will be analyzing and are nearly finished with compiling the proper transcripts and footage necessary for our analysis. We are both quite proud of our project and hope it could shed light on the monumental effects discoure relating to atypical gender behavior could have on both parents as well as children.