Now approaching the end of summer, I am very excited to share with you the results of my experiment. I tested 17 microorganisms, (8 Gram positive and 9 Gram negative) and was able to derive data from 10 of the organisms tested due to various problems that occurred. E. faecalis and B. megaterium are Gram positive bacterias that did not show any signs of inhibition by the propolis samples. S. pneumoniae was the only Gram positive organism that displayed slight inhibition around propolis samples from Russia, Tayabas, Lativa and Australia.
P. vulgaris is a Gram negative bacteria that showed slight around propolis samples from Bico, Washington State, and California. P. aeriginosa (Gram negative) also had slight inhibition around Australia, Lativa and Russia. S. typhimurium (Gram negative) had slight inhibition around the samples from Australia and California. E. aerogenes (Gram negative) had slight inhibition around the California sample. The D1 strain of S. marcesens (Gram negative) had inhibtion around the Bico sample. E. coli (Gram negative) showed no inhibition and S. flexneri (Gram negative) showed the most inhibition out of all the organisms tested. This bacteria was inhibited by samples from Tayabas, Lativa, California. Washington State, Bico, and Australia.
From the results obtained, it can be determined that the propolis is most effective against microorganisms that dwell in or infect the human body, which would explain why the propolis is known for its healing properties and used around the world for the treatment of various ailments.
Data could not be gathered for the following Gram positive bacterias: S. epidermidis, B. cereus, S. pyogenes, S. aureus, B. subitilis, and the following Gram Negative bacterias: the WCF and 933 strains of S. marcesens. Data for these organisms could not be gathered because the disks placed on the plates with the propolis samples somehow shifted positions, therefore I was unable to determine which disk belonged to which propolis sample. When attempting do another trial of the protocol, the bacteria used to inoculate the plates were contaminated and it was very difficult trying to remake new bacterial stocks because the samples were becoming contaminated as well.
Despite this issue, one major result still stood out to me throughout the whole experiment. Although I previously stated that I could not gather data for S. pyogenes, the plate did show amazing inhibition of the bacteria for 2 of the propolis samples. However, the disks with the propolis samples shifted, therefore I could not tell where the two samples were from and the issues from remaking bacteria stock interrupted my search. But this particular result I found the most interesting because S. pyogenes is the cause of Strep Throat and in countries around the world, and even in my home, honey is ingested to ease the symptoms and somehow cure the infected throat after a few days. Therefore, I am extremely excited to continue this experiment to determine the results for the rest of the microorganisms to determine the efficacy of propolis against these bacteria.
From this experiment I have learned two very important facts of life. The first is that nothing comes out the way that is planned. There are always going to be discrepancies and problems that arise with protocols and results. However, it is your job as the researcher to ask yourself why is this occurring and devise a solution to the problem. The second thing that I learned is that one must be able to connect two points in order to have that wonderful “lightbulb” moment where everything finally comes together and makes sense. This is how I felt after looking at the S. pyogenes plate and is one of the many things about my research that makes me very excited. I look forward to continuing my researching and being a part of Dr. Mojica’s team.