Blog #4- End of the Year Report

Doing research throughout this semester with my mentor, Dr. Elmer Mojica, has greatly impacted my experience at Pace University. My research with analyzing vibrational spectroscopy of ciprofloxacin, enrofloxacin, norfloxacin, and sarafloxacin, four fluoroquinolone drugs, was successful! I was able to use different instruments like a portable Raman and IR in order to obtain spectra of the drugs. I was able to analyze the different spectra produced and find unique peaks that are specific to each fluoroquinolone drug, for differentiation. I was also able to analyze bond angles and lengths of each drug. For further research, I would like to run my four fluoroquinolone samples again with multiple trials for the bench top Raman, portable Raman, and IR instruments. For the portable Raman, I would like to mess with the time and exposure settings more to see if that enhances the signal to noise ratio.

Overall, the UGRI experience has helped me with lab techniques and in understanding instrumentation and computer programs. I was able to understand the theory behind each instrument, in order to understand how each drug is read. I have also been exposed to different computer programs, like Gaussian, which creates 3-dimensional structures and Igor, which helps to analyze graphs. This enhanced my learning experience outside of the classroom, where the information is just presented to you on a powerpoint. I was actually able to work with the instruments hands-on instead.

Because of doing research this year, I have been given opportunities to present my research in various formats. Along with the UGRI, I was able to present my research in poster format at the Dyson Society of Fellow this past March. Also, I was given the opportunity to go to the American Chemical Society Conference in San Francisco. I presented the research I am currently working on in the Analytical Chemistry section. Being able to present at different conferences the past year allowed me to explain what I have been working on to others. I have been asked questions and have taken in advice on how to advance my research. Being at conferences allows me to network with other scientists who share the same interest in analytical chemistry. Overall, I appreciate going through the UGRI experience because of the learning experiences and opportunities I have gained that I would have not been able to otherwise. I would like to thank my mentor, Dr. Elmer Mojica for all the aid and opportunities he has given me over the year. I would also like to thank the rest of my research group for all of the support!